Friday, January 8, 2010

Getting a total hip replacement but I don't trust the Doctor...any advice?

I'm 21 and I'm scheduled to have my right hip replaced next month. I want to try the minimally invasive replacement where they don't cut the muscles but my hospital is giving me the run around for the X-Ray's.





They do the minimally invasive surgery at a different hospital but I was told I can get a referral.





I asked the doctor at my hospital about the minimally invasive procedure and he said he would rather get it done right the first time. I have only heard good news about this new technique. It seemed to me like he was only in it for the money, which made me feel very uncomfortable.





I want someone who has the passion to help and won't just throw me a hip.





What should I do?Getting a total hip replacement but I don't trust the Doctor...any advice?
I've had both hips replaced in separate surgeries. They were not minimally invasive approaches. My advice to you is to not get hung up on the minimal incision. If you are thin, your incision will be shorter than it would be in a heavier person. There are drawbacks to minimal incision length - one being that the surgeon can't see what he is doing as easily as he can with a longer incision. Because you are very young for a total replacement (they don't last forever) you need to be concerned with the type of bearing that is being used. If I were your age facing this surgery, I'd at least ask about ceramic bearings. They may last longer than the more traditional metal/poly bearing.





As for the scar, I have found that both of my scars have practically disappeared after several years. I made sure that I kept them out of the sun (and that includes tanning booth ';sun';) for at least a year (sun can permanently darken a scar).





Here;s a link where you can read about the pros %26amp; cons of mini-incision.


http://totaljoints.info/MINI_INCIS_TH.ht鈥?/a>


There is more than one kind of mini-incision so it isn't always clear as to what ';mini'; really means. One technique uses two small incisions instead of one larger incision. Another type might use an incision of 3-4 inches.





For the record, my incisions are 11'; long and extend from the center of my buttock to part way down the outside of my thigh.Getting a total hip replacement but I don't trust the Doctor...any advice?
if you do not trust the doctor..leave..find another
Talk to a patient advocate at your hospital, and check with the social services department to find the patient advocate. If you are not satisfied before you go under the knife, you need to ask for time so that you can do some research. Can also check with physical therapy depts at hospitals and at skilled nursing facilities (again, social services or look under nursing homes, call and ask if they have PT dept.....most of them do). PT will be able to tell you how folks have been after both procedures.





Talk with patient advocate about your feelings as well toward your doctor.





Remember, it is you who is paying them for their services, not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment