Friday, January 8, 2010

Mums of yahoo - do you trust a woman's advice more than a man?

Just wondering. If you post a question and get several answers from both mums and dads, do you automatically think less of the dads answers?


I have to confess, unless I have seen that they are a stay at home dad, I assume that they haven't personally had to deal with the things that I do as a stay at home mum. I saw an answer from a dad earlier about keeping children in strict routines and wondered how much his wife sticks to his rules!


Just curious really, what do the rest of you think?Mums of yahoo - do you trust a woman's advice more than a man?
I trust dads opinions but my husband and my own dad are really good dads so I know all their advice is good. I think you only feel like that if you dont know hands on dads.





EdiT; I think its cause your husband cant do it that you think all men cant. My husband can be left on his own and make dinner,tidy house and care for our daughter. He does it all the time when I am at work and out. He is really good at it and he is better than me cause I cant cook and he can do it all. My husband could run teh house better than me in my opinion but thats one of the reasons I married him as I dont want a traditional manMums of yahoo - do you trust a woman's advice more than a man?
I am a stay at home mom, so by default, I go with the women. But the Best person to trust is yourself...and your child's doctor.





My husband is really good at tough answers when I am in a pickle. Still I still go with my gut on most things.





When I was in school for Childcare/Psychology there were quite a few guys in the class that were educated and interested in the subject.





Don't count the guys out totally.





As for mister routine, it is really hard to tell who you are actually talking to or getting advise from when you are on the computer. First you have to trust that the person put the correct information in the title, then are they being serious. (He probably made the rules, if his wife didn't, she will try, but probably not stick to the routines.)
Well, honestly, it really depends on the question and answer that an individual gives. But, in my case, I trust a man's answer (legit answer of course). This is for a couple of reasons:





1.) My husband is better at disciplining than I am.





2.) My husband is better at maintaining order in the household than I am.





3.) My husband has more patience that I do.





4.) My husband is really just better at the whole parenting thing than I am as he has been helping raise little kids his whole life whereas I had never even held a baby before I had my first child (who is now 3) when I was 21 years old.


My dad was the same way. So yep, to an extent, I'd trust the guys more! No offense! God bless!
Actually, the best piece of advice I have been given came from a Daddy. It was in regards to basically what you asked here. I questioned my husband’s methods to parent our son and this person told me that Mom’s have one method of parenting and Daddy’s have another. Neither is right nor wrong, they’re just different.





And because of that answer, I just listen to the responses I get from a question asked and choose the best answer for my situation. And it doesn’t matter to me if it’s a male/female, mother/father, or a person with no kids at all.
I have actually seen some really good advice from moms and dads on here. My daughter's peditrician is a man and he is the best. Has five kids of his own so he gives good practical advice.





On the other hand, my husband works all day and hasn't been around babies much. Neither was his dad. Some of the things they tell me to do with my daughter I don't pay a lot of attention too. Not that I think they are stupid-its just not practical.





I agree with on the above posters. Good advice is good advice..no matter the gender.
I will tell you that good advice is good advice. I totally get where you are coming from. There are a couple of ';regulars'; that come to my mind whose advice ';ranks'; over other males in general. I will say that I'm actually partial to advice from people whose answers I am familiar with and I usually agree with anyway. People who seem to have sense. I usually think more of their opinion than people I've never seen before.


Yea my husband is the same way. God help you all if he ever figure out how to use YA, you would all be in trouble. :-)
I generally don't ask for specific advice here...why would I trust complete strangers with my child?





On the occasion that I ask here it's simply to measure my own opinion on a matter...that's about it.





As far as gender...I think I go more by the content of the answer, not by the sex of the answerer...





Idiots come in both genders...
I take the advice of men. Unless as you said it's anything to do with pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding etc anything that they personally never have to deal with.





But apart from that gender doesn't bother me - too much anyway.
I don't trust anyone's advice, really. I consider it and decide whether it makes sense and would work within the values and structure of my life and family.





Men's ideas are just as worthy of consideration as women's, though
I don't make any assumptions about the gender of the person answering the question regardless of what their avatar indicates. Anyone can say they are a mum or a dad on the internet.
i have given a lot of good advice to a lot of mums on here, but its other female answerers that give me loads of thumbs down, but i still get a lot of top answers from the askers though.
I tend to trust the women more...especially if the men are advising me on the state of being pregnant! They do that sometimes which is very annoying actually...they cannot comment unless they are doctors.
I equally trust woman and men's answers . I've met some wonderful dads on here as well as some wonderful moms.
I have not noticed the gender of the person answering the question.. Good advice is good advice to me!
No way. I go with what answer makes most sense to me. My partner states things about our daughter that don't occur to me so I really value a dad's point of view too
When i ask factual questions generally men answer. if its emotional or personal women come out!


Dont know why??
No both men and woman can offer good advice.
Well, I usually don't even notice whether it is a man or woman.





--I do get what you mean though.
I kind of agree, not that I think a dad is any less capible of knowing things about children %26amp; so on but I feel better taking advice from other moms. I guess it's a woman thing.





Good Luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment