Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Do many people at some point realise that you can't fully trust parents' advice?

Today I was accused of something I didn't do by my parents, it turned out they were wrong and an apology was given. It hurt me though as I was all day at work thinking about it and very saddened by it.


It got me thinking about stuff they'd told me in the past, stuff like masturbation was dirty, not to trust anyone, stuff like that, which has had a mental/physical affect on me. It's bad advice and I'm disheartened by it.


I know parents are still only human, but can you really not trust their advice? I'm 25 and have my own mind, but still look to my parents for guidance sometimes.Do many people at some point realise that you can't fully trust parents' advice?
I was pretty young when I realized that although my parents often gave good advice, sometimes they let emotions cloud their judgment just like anybody else. I'v e learned to look to them for guidance in most matters but then make a final decision myself. Sometimes it is the opposite of what they think I should do, but I'm an adult and can face the consequences, if there are any.Do many people at some point realise that you can't fully trust parents' advice?
Your parents want whats best for you. They're trying to help.


But no, you can't trust everything they say or do.





My parents are fundamental Christians. They used to tell me that everyone that didn't go to their church would go to hell, and pretty much everything was a sin. They raised me to be what they think of as a ';good Christian'; which means, racist, sexist, and hateful. It took me a long time to realize that I was miserable because of the religion that they forced onto me, and I believe that it affected my mentally, because for a long time I believed in their bigoted word views.


But they do not see it that way. They were just trying to save me from Hell.





I think it's completely normal for you to have this reaction, and I think that everyone does at some point in their life.





I think it's important to listen to your parents, and get their advice, but if it conflicts with the things you believe in, or want to do, then you should do what you want to do.





Parents always WANT what is best for their children, but they usually do not KNOW what is best.
We do the best we can and I know its not always good enough. You seem to have a good mind - trust yourself - and don't hold your parents accountable for mistakes we ALL make.

No comments:

Post a Comment