Thursday, December 31, 2009

My parents don't trust me. Any advice?

I do not do drugs, drink, sleep around, hang out with the wrong crowd, have never had behavior trouble at school,and am a straight A student. I am 16, the youngest of three, and the most physically frail of my siblings, so I could understand if they were simply overprotective. This seems to go beyond that. My parents won't let me go out with my friends to the movies without adult supervision and have expressed a reluctance to let me get my drivers licence. Why I have inquired as to why, they tell me they fear I'll ';just go run wild.'; It is not in my character to ';run wild.'; Any ideas?My parents don't trust me. Any advice?
Talk to them.





Ask them ';Why do you think i'll run wild? Have I ever run wild before or given you reason to think I will? Judgning me because of my generation isn't fair.';My parents don't trust me. Any advice?
maybe getting them to do something to get them to trust you?


thinking of something could take a while but it's possible,


or compromise say if you give me my drivers licence and i go 'wild' you can instantly take it off me.


explain that your not one of those people that get given privileges will go wild over it because you respect what they have given you.


give them time too think and talk too each other about it


I'm guessing it could work


good luck!








answer mine please (:


http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;鈥?/a>











much love _-x princess Laura _-x
Hmmm, have your other siblings had problems with that? That could be the cause of your parents' concern. If you are really sure you won't ';run wild,'; tell them that. Explain to them your intentions and plans. If necessary, strike some kind of deal. For example, ';if you ever find that I've done drugs, you can take my care.'; Or something along those lines. Show that your earnest.
Did your older siblings ';run wild';? If they did your parents are probably comparing you to your siblings. Its not the best thing to do, but some times parents don't know what else to do. You should try to prove that you can be trusted. Or convince your parents that your friends can be trusted.
It is because you are the youngest. Parents suck. I turned 18 in feb. and I moved in with my grandma, freedom is amazing. but honestly, its also great to have people there that really care for you. try and compromise. after all, they are your parents and they can do anything they want until you are 18 years old.
I would sit them down and talk to them about it.


Tell them that you need your space and maybe you might make some mistakes but that's what life is about.


Everyone makes mistakes, you just need to learn from them.


Just talk to them about it and see what happens.
You are the baby of the family, one more year you will go off to college then you will have more freedom. Stick it out one more year and be glad you have parents that care about you, a lot of people don't.
It is normal for this! You will always be their child and they will always want to shelter you from harm
try to convince them.tell them that ur now 16,so u should be allowed to hang out with ur good friends.but u should get licence at age of 18 they r right at this point
Ask them what you can do to earn their trust and more freedom.
Are your brothers and/or sisters like that? Maybe they're worried you'll be like them.
Just asking them y dont they trust u and try to earn the freedom that they can trust u
say this exactly parantials trust me lol
i have the exact same problem with my parents.
shoot them.
maybe they are the one who cant be trusted. uh?
Ask them how could they trust you again....i'm in the same thing as you...
It can be really hard to develop trust with your parents since there are so many teens out there that are making poor decisions for themselves. I know that it might be a drag for awhile, but what about asking your parents to be the ones to take you and your friends to a movie or the mall. Ask some of your friends to come over and hang out for awhile in your home. After awhile of seeing the situation for themselves rather than just hearing about it from you, I';ll bet they'll warm up to the idea of letting go and allow you to make more decisions for yourself. Sounds like they love you and want the best for you. Be patient. They'll come around. Feel free to give us a buzz if you want to chat.





Linda


Boys Town National Hotline


1-800-448-3000
Hey, ive gone through the same stuff until i turned 18. i had a check-in time every half hour. i know how it feels wen ur parents say u need adult supervision too. all i can really tell you in my best advise is:





1.) sit down and talk to your parents, tell them to give you a chance and if they don't like it then promise them you wont ever do it again.





2.) this is kinda the bad one, but if you can pull it off it feels great, just dont let it take control off you: Do what you want just make sure your parents dont find out, make a setup or a plan. if you get cought, the most they can ground you is for 2 yrs. because when your 18.... they cant do nothing.. your an adult.





3.) thirelativelyivily simple! just get a job and demand more freedom. Since your starting to act more mature, why not do mature things...WITHOUT always being supervised.





They worked for me. And now that im 18 i live virtually stress free.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. You're a straight-A student and they think you're just going to ';run wild';?





They're BSing you. Talk o them about it, and logically let them know your side of things. Tell them you've spent 16 years proving to them that you can be responsible. You've earned your right to go out and have fun with your friends in a safe environment. It's not like you're going to any wild parties, anyways (right?). If they still are reluctant, offer to compromise with them; they can drop you off at the movies and pick you up, meet your friends (which I know sucks, but if you do it for awhile and prove to them you're being open with them, they should give you a bit of a longer leash in time), or you can call them when you get out or something.





If worst comes to worst, let them know that they're holding you back. Everyone has to learn to be independent and do their own thing, and by not allowing you the same freedoms many other parents allow their teenagers without even thinking, they're not letting you experience things, which, in extreme cases, can even go so far as to hinder your psychosocial development. Just tell them they're holding you back, and you'll never get to enjoy growing up if they insist on keeping you cloistered at home like a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment