Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I dont trust my dentist anymore. any advice from experts?

im doing upper bridge (8 teeth in total 4+4).


first - my dentist promised me that permanent bridge will be done in 3 weeks.it took almost 5 weeks. Now she is saying there are some problems in lab so it will take additional 2-3 weeks.


Total 8 weeks for perm bridge!





Temporary bridge that she did to me looks so bad,and even color of that temporary is different than my natural teeth.





Second,when i asked her at the begining what material she will use for permanent she said porcelan.


Now she is saing it will be mix of metal,gold and porcelan.


I never heard for sucha ';mix'; before.





I already payed 8000$ for this work in advance but i feel that very bad.


If i knew it will take so long i would not choose her for sure.





Maybe she is doing right thing,maybe that is how it should be,but when i did my teeth and bridge 10y ago it took only 2 weeks to previous dentist to do it.


My big concern now is how will look my permanent bridge? will she screw also that?


any opinions here? thxI dont trust my dentist anymore. any advice from experts?
I'm a dentist.





So far, your doctor has done nothing wrong! Allow me to explain:





As far as the lab goes, they do screw-up from time to time, and it is completely out of our control. Once we send the case to the lab, it's up to them to complete the work in a timely fashion. We cannot make them work faster.





As for the temporary bridge, they more often than not look bad, shape-wise and color-wise.. To have a nice-looking temporary bridge, the doctor would likely have needed to order a custom-made temporary bridge from the lab, which, as you can guess, would cost you more money.





As for the material for the permanent bridge, there IS such a mix of gold and porcelain, and we use it very frequently. The gold alloy makes up the metal substructure of the bridge. There is porcelain covering the gold, so, no gold will be visible when you smile. Jesus Christ, I hope you don't use that ';well, I'VE never heard of it before'; method of evaluating treatment when it comes to addressing more serious medical conditions than missing teeth.I dont trust my dentist anymore. any advice from experts?
It's very unusual to have a solid porcelain bridge for four teeth. Perhaps you misunderstood her; most long bridges are a a metal substructure covered with tooth-colored porcelain, especially for back teeth (which need the extra substructure support).





Don't worry about the color of the temporary; they never match. Your bridge will be colored the same as your teeth.





And labs do get backed up. I've experienced that in the past. Ten years ago bridges weren't made as well (and take so long to do so) as they are now.
I agree with the above,i just got ripped off 10 grand for work i didnt need i too believe they are in it together and ther are all criminals....i hate dentists and i dont believe they are regulated at all or not hearly enough!!!
I got ripped off by my dentist for braces. I demanded to switch. But what is costed me to switch + the hassel = the same price.


These guys are criminals - they're all in it together
Most lab should only take 10 business days to complete your bridgework. I am not sure where you live, but 3-5 weeks is too long, especially the amount of money you have invested. Maybe the doctor has chosen an inadequate lab or less superior lab. the bridge you will be receiving sounds like a Porcelain Veneer crown which is a metal substructure with porcelain on top.





My advise is to look at the bridgework when you come in for cementation. IF you do not like it for any reason, metal showing, color is off, etc. Demand to have it sent back to have it redone. Do not accept anything less. If you feel your doctor can not meet your expectation for the bridge, refuse the bridge and demand your money back.
Well, I'm not an expert, but am currently going through a similar (if more minor) issue with my present dentist. I know what it's like to have dental work not live up to expectations. If I were you, I'd go with my gut feeling and get a second opinion, especially since your family members are echoing your own concerns about the appearance and fit of the temporary bridge the dentist has crafted so far. Maybe while pursuing that second opinion, you should call around to some other local dentists' offices and see what time estimate they would place on similar work being done.





As far as the metal/gold/porcelain vs. porcelain alone, I know that crowns for the front (visible) teeth are usually porcelain only (or have the option of being) for a better, more natural appearance, as they generally do not have as much stress or biting pressure placed on them as the back molars. I'm not sure about how bridge teeth are made vs. crowns, but there is a porcelain-fused-to-metal crown (PFM for short) that is used mostly for back teeth. I have heard that gold accommodates itself easier with somewhat less wear on adjacent teeth than PFM; but a dental professional would be more knowledgeable and equipped to advise you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment